Mango allergy: symptoms, causes, diagnosis, treatment


[ad_1]

Mangoes can cause an allergic reaction in some people, although this is very rare. Rashes can develop in response to touching a mango peel, but more serious reactions are also possible. If you are allergic to mango, you may be able to eat mangoes if they do not come in contact with the skin. However, some people may need to avoid mangoes altogether if their allergy is more severe.

This article explains the causes and symptoms of mango allergies, in adults and babies. It also explores how mango allergies are diagnosed, as well as the treatment options available.

Very good / Brianna Gilmartin

Symptoms

There are two types of allergic reactions to mangoes:

  • Developing a rash around the mouth
  • If you are suffering from a serious life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis

An allergic reaction to mango can occur immediately after contact with mango or a few days later, depending on the individual.

Eruption

contact dermatitis, an itchy rash with blisters or bumps, is the most common allergic reaction to mangoes. The rash is usually near the lips and the skin around the mouth, but it can affect any part of the body.

It may take up to seven days after contact with the mango for the rash to appear. Symptoms of contact dermatitis caused by a mango include:

  • Redness
  • Itch
  • Swelling
  • Dry, scaly skin
  • Bulbs

Keep in mind that it is the peel of the mango that usually triggers the rash. Many people who develop contact dermatitis after eating mangoes do not experience any symptoms if they cut the mango and eat it without the skin touching their skin.

to sum up

The most common type of allergic reaction to mango is a rash called contact dermatitis. It usually appears around the mouth, but can appear elsewhere on the body. Symptoms of this rash include itching, swelling, and blisters.

Anaphylaxis

Sometimes a mango allergy can cause a serious allergic reaction characterized by swelling, changes in blood pressure, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.

Some people can develop an allergic reaction to mango pulp, although this is much less common than a mango skin allergy.

When to call 911

Call 911 or seek emergency care if you experience the following symptoms after eating a mango: vomiting, shortness of breath, wheezing, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, or swelling of your tongue, throat, or face.

Mango allergy in babies

Basak Gurbuz Derman / Getty Images


Food allergies are more common in babies than in adults. It is also more likely to be severe. Although the symptoms of food allergy in babies and adults are similar, an allergic reaction in a baby can quickly progress from uncomfortable to life-threatening.

For babies with a severe food allergy, being exposed to small amounts of this food can trigger a reaction. Babies also have more sensitive skin than adults, so they’re more likely to develop contact dermatitis after touching something they’re sensitive to.

If you are just starting to introduce solid foods into your baby’s diet, introduce him one food at a time. For example, let your baby try small amounts of mango for three days without giving him anything new. This way, you will know that if they develop allergy symptoms, the mango is likely to be to blame.

Remember that a mild allergic reaction in a baby can quickly develop into a life-threatening reaction. Therefore, any sign of an allergic reaction in a baby should be treated seriously. If you think your baby is having an allergic reaction:

  • Stop feeding them immediately
  • Call 911 or go to the hospital immediately

It is estimated that 8% of school children in the United States have some type of food allergy. The most serious allergic reactions are caused by milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, soybeans, peanuts and tree nuts. Fruit allergies are extremely rare in childhood.

Causes

Poison ivy, poison ivy, and poison ivy all contain an oil called urushiol. It is the oil that causes a rash when people touch these plants.

Urushiol can also be found in the sap, skin, stems, and leaves of mangoes. This oil can cause an allergic reaction on contact.

Due to this oil, a mango-induced rash occurs more often after coming in contact with the plant rather than after eating a mango.

to sum up

Most allergic reactions to mangoes come from contact with the skin. People with severe mango allergy may go into anaphylaxis soon after touching or eating mango. This is a life threatening medical emergency. If you suspect you or your child has anaphylaxis, call 911 or go directly to the hospital.

Diagnostic

You may be able to tell if you are allergic to mango if your reaction occurs immediately after contact with it. However, it may not be obvious whether you have this particular allergy.

If you have a rash, you should see a healthcare practitioner as soon as possible. Tests used to identify the cause of a skin allergy may include:

  • A skin test, where a small amount of an allergen is pricked into the skin with a needle
  • A patch test, where potential allergens are applied to the skin on a patch
  • A blood test known as the ImmunoCAP test, which can be used if you have any other skin condition

Processing

Avoiding contact with mango peel is generally an effective way to prevent a rash. However, if you have a rash, it is likely to go away on its own within a few days. For more serious rashes, treatment options may include:

If you are at risk for an anaphylactic reaction, your healthcare professional will give you an epinephrine auto-injector, which is an injection that contains epinephrine. When epinephrine is injected, it stops the allergic reaction. However, you will still need to contact emergency services immediately for further care.

Summary

Mango allergies can trigger a rash or a more serious reaction called anaphylaxis. Most people tend to be allergic to the urushiol oil found in the peel of the mango.

For this reason, it is best to avoid the mango peel and the mango plant if you suspect you have this allergy. However, you can still eat mango, as long as the skin is removed.

If you are not sure whether you have a mango allergy, you may consider getting diagnosed by your healthcare professional. They may perform a skin test or blood test to determine if you have that particular allergy.

Treatment for mango allergies may include a topical cream or an oral steroid. If you have a severe reaction, you may need to use an epinephrine auto-injector and then see a doctor immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  • Are mango allergies common?

    No, mango allergies are rare but they can still occur. If you are allergic to latex, birch or mugwort pollen, you may also be sensitive to mangoes.


  • When can we start giving babies mangoes?

    You can gradually start introducing your baby to solid foods like mangoes around six months of age.


  • How long does it take for a mango allergy to go away?

    The majority of babies get past their food allergy by the time they are teenagers.

A word from Verywell

If you have a mango allergy, you should avoid contact with mangoes, poison ivy, poison ivy, and other members of the plant. Anacardiaceae plant family. It should be noted that the cashew shells and the outer shell of pistachios also contain urushiol and can cause a similar reaction.

If you develop uncomfortable symptoms after eating mango, be sure to consult your health care provider before eating more.

Food Allergy Physician Discussion Guide

Get our printable guide for your next doctor’s appointment to help you ask the right questions.

[ad_2]

Comments are closed.